Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Joining the Ranks or How Peer Pressure Doesn't Just End in High School

Okay ... so I've joined the elite ranks of the bloggers. I figure, as with so many things in my life, I may well be the loser amongst the group ... the try hard who never quite pulls it off. (Yes, I bought into my parents' sensible -- read too cheap and practical to understand -- advice that your non-designer/label whatevers look just like everyone else's authentic whatevers). So here I am, trying to keep up with the Jones'.

Actually, the real reason why I'm doing this is because my dear friend has been blogging for quite some time and I have been visiting her site like some kind of a voyeuristic stalker. Constantly reading the posted items and the ensuing comments. I feel as though I'm old chums with Clumber Boy and Epicurean et al. But when I felt compelled to add in my own comment today on a matter near and dear to my heart (sex), I found out that I couldn't just hang out on the fringes any longer. I had to create a whole blogger username and title. I was exhausted from just thinking about that! Just shows you that I have zero ability when it comes to be being wildly creative and interesting. I also have no writing ability whatsoever. Well, that's not strictly true. I'm a master at putting together bitchy but overly polite technical letters for arbitration committees and the like. My days slugging away at a law firm during fourth year university were definitely not a complete waste. Or at least this is what I try to believe since the alternative is that I sold out to a bunch of soul sucking pack of scummy lawyers. (Sorry ... was that last descriptive comment an overly redundant one?)

Anyway, I digress. I admit I had a choice. After having created my blogger identity, I could have posted my comment and then just walked away and exercised my option of visiting my friend's site from time to time and posting the occasional comment. I guess, the immature and underdeveloped part of me (i.e. the majority of my "me-ness") would rather play the part of hapless powerless victim, so as to save face when I inevitably encounter blogger block and churn out meaningless incoherent and badly written crap.


Because boys and girls, the real truth is that I haven't grown up in any sense of the word. I just really want to jump into the ongoing game and play with all the other kids!

2 comments:

Snooze said...

And we want to play with you! Yay! Glad you're online.

EarthMother said...

Thanks Snooze. You're a true friend ... or a really great liar. Either way, I'll take the compliment!