Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Professional Venting

So while my friends get to use the internet for exciting things like phone sex enhanced with cyber imagery, I am online completing some stupid continuing education courses to maintain my license. Basically, it's just the industry's way of soaking us for more money ... as if we don't already pay enough for the privilege of being licensed agents. My only saving grace is that thanks to technology, I now don't have to actually go into the classroom anymore to complete these bloody courses. That was a torturous experience because there was always one keener who somehow thought that it was all going to be an enriching educational experience, as opposed to the farce that it is.

I may sound cynical, but if the powers that be in our industry really cared about keeping us current, they would actually change the content of the courses if only ever so slightly. Since I do the online education for both myself and my husband, I have done all of these courses several times overs and despite their falsely advertised name of "RECO Update", they haven't altered within the last four years. This when there have been a number of changes within our industry that need to be addressed.

The thing that ticks me off is that I get to pay for the privilege of repeating a course deemed to be a "requirement". Needless to say, I blasted them on the optional survey. I mean truly, why don't we just cut out the middleman, and I'll just mail the Council my cheque without asking for them to give me a lame ass excuse for taking more of my hard-earned money.

I hate people who can't just come out and be up front. I'd have no problems if the government and regulating boards would just say "We need more money. We are bumping up your member's fee 25%", rather than saying "Oh we feel that the members need to be better educated and informed so as to protect the community at large, so you need to spend an extra $500.00 or more on courses before we reissue you your license". Yeah, right ... that's why they make it so easy to 're-educate' yourself by offering courses online that can be taken by anyone masquerading as the member.

God, I have to find a new career!

P.S. In case there's any doubt in any one's mind, I am PMSing. Make a note of the date in your calendar, make the appropriate calculations and then stay clear of me each month at the the same time.

2 comments:

Snooze said...

I can't believe you have an update course and they don't even check to see who's writing it. you're right - what a scam. I had a friend who just went through a similar situation in his field.

EarthMother said...

Not only do they make it easy for others to take the course in your stead, but they also let you repeat a course (to the tune of $80.00) every two year cycle, which you end up having to do anyway because there aren't enough course options to make up your requisite 24 credits. So they really don't care about re-educating you ... it's just about making you reach for your wallet.