Saturday, September 03, 2005

Square Pegs in Round Holes?

At what point is it time to start acting one's age?

Last night I went out for dinner and drinks with a few friends from Montreal. I'll post an entry next detailing all the events of the night, but for now I just want to cut to the chase.

We ended up at a club which I've discovered is my nineteen year old niece's favourite hangout. How do I know this little fact? While dancing wildly away with my friends, I looked over at the group of girls standing next to me and realised that one of them looked all too familiar. The expression on her face when she realised the slightly inebriated lady next to her was in fact her aunt, was priceless.

I couldn't help but wonder if some of the guys that had hit on my friends and I were classmates of hers. Shades of Mrs. Robinson?

The whole thing reminded me of a comment a university friend once made about a group of alumni that frequented the student pubs. He scathingly referred to them as "losers" because they continued to hang out at their undergrad pub almost a decade post-graduation. Having dated one of them, I'll admit that although they were certainly a bright and talented group, they seemed not to have been unable to move on from their university undergrad days.

I often joke around about being in the throes of mid-life crisis, but the truth of the matter is that I don't even consider myself as being remotely middle-aged. The words "mid-life crisis" always bring to mind a forty something man with a paunch, dressed in some ill-fitting suit and white shoes (don't ask me why ... I don't know) and driving a convertible sports car. Mid-life crisis suggests to me one who is trying to get back to his or her youth after having put in years of sensible adult responsibility. I therefore assumed that I'm not really a victim of mid-life crisis because I've pretty much carried on in the same vein as I have for years now. I don't ever think of myself as behaving in a manner that befits my age. But then again, I've gotten married and had three kids. I've purchased a home, cars, pets. All the hallmarks of adulthood. And last night, found myself in the midst of a much younger crowd without any recognition that I didn't belong there. Should I be worried?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Live from the internet, its your best of Weblogs, Inc.
Posted Sep 3, 2005, 6:00 AM ET by Weblogs, Inc. Staff The Weblogs, Inc. network features over 100 independent, unfiltered bloggers producing over 1,000 blog posts a week across over 75 industry-leading blogs.
My compliments. I have enjoyed your Blog. You have so many interesting things to report, please keep up the good work.

Did you know, that nearly all of us pay too much for their car insurance? That we are leaving a lot of money on the table by failing to compare properly the rates of all those different insurance companies?
I've made a new Blog just about Car Insurance. You are friendly invited to a visit and to learn more about this interesting topic.
Thanks again and keep up the good work.

The Car Insurance Guy from Car Insurance

Snooze said...

Honey, we belong everywhere. [no, I'm not just saying this because all I do is go out to bars...]

EarthMother said...

Anonymous: Welcome ... I think. No offense, but it was hard to even read the compliment hidden between all the adverts. But thanks for reading my blog and taking the time to comment. Look forward to hearing your viewpoint again.

Snooze: See, I think the same way but then I keep wondering if that's what all old hounds think? Anyway, who cares so long as we have fun, right?