Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Can I Be the Exception to the Rule?

Ick ... I'm sitting here trying to force feed myself some chicken. Ever since I got ill a few weeks ago, I've lost my appetite, which is highly unusual for me. I've got this giant love of food, love to cook and sample new types of cuisine. I come from a family that believes in sitting down and enjoying our food in copious amounts (thankfully, we've been blessed with good metabolisms). As a mother, I've embraced the whole feeding-the-world reflex.

Since I'm also a firm believer in eating properly and healthily, I generally eat three meals and four or five snacks a day. It's been pretty torturous lately because I just can't get excited about any of the foods I've had in front of me.

A friend of mine and I used to subscribe to the idea of food as a parable for sex. We believed that people's eating habits could tell you a lot about how they were in bed. My friend who was Italian and loved to eat (God we used to pig out at her family's Sunday brunches) claimed that people who constantly watched what they ate or who lacked a gusto for food were lousy lovers. We had extrapolated every possibility of eating habits -- from those who would stick to the same foods regularly (missionary position with the lights out) to those who binged and purged (post-coital guilty feelings which might inhibit enjoyment).

Of course, we all like to think we're great lovers so naturally I've prided myself on my abilities in the boudoir. To put it simply -- I love to eat good food, in great quantities and whenever possible (the phrases "I'm too full" or "I'm not hungry" heretofore have never crossed my lips), I love to cook and am very inventive, creative and daring in my combinations of ingredients, I strive for variety in my diet and believe that eating is more about enjoyment than it is survival.

So what does it say about me that I now don't crave anything at all foodwise, could care less whether you handed me a gourmet meal and that I could probably go for long periods of time without eating?

5 comments:

Snooze said...

What does it say? That you're married with 3 kids?

Just kidding... this cold thing is a bitch to shake off. You'll be back to eating in no time. i fully agree too with the sex/food connection. And you are probably the most sensual person I've ever met

EarthMother said...

Sister: I've seen your pics and read your blog ... based on that, my guess would be that you are bedroom goddess material. If you're also into good food, so much the better!

Snooze: I'm trying to figure out if by sensual, you mean that I make a pig of myself at mealtimes ...

epicurist said...

I love to cook as well, but have to learn to experiment a bit more, the same way I do with sex. I completely agree with you and find that flavour should NOT just be limited to the kitchen.

Greg the Surly said...

I wonder what the delicious hostess snackcakes translate too?

EarthMother said...

Epi: Experimenting in the kitchen is good. I learned a lot from my dad who is a scientist and tried all kinds of different food combinations to see what new flavours he could come up with. Admittedly, some were scarily horrible, but it did instill in me the chutzpah to be wildly creative.

Greg: That's a pretty straightforward translation actually. Think of a woman's body part that is moist and sweet ...