Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Two sides of the same coin

I took my kids to see "Superman Returns". Most of the movie focussed on the relationship between Lois Lane and the tights-in-flight guy.

I know that it's fiction, but it's always bothered me that Lois Lane never gleans onto the fact that Clark Kent is really her super love interest. We are led to believe through our pop culture that love is all-encompassing and has the rare ability to change us. Yet, someone who claims to be in love with another being can't recognise him when he dons street clothes and geeky glasses.

In real life, are we really that superficial? Scarily, I sometimes think that we are indeed. People often fall in love with another, citing his or her good qualities, and fail to take into account that the less desirable qualities are simply the flip side of what we love. They also fail to realise that often you can't have one without the other. I think of my husband who is impulsive, spontaneous and has this incredible joy and passion for life. When I first met him, I was bowled over by his ability to be happy despite all odds. It was a novel concept for me since I grew up believing that enjoying life was frivolous and that planning was everything. What I later came to realise was that my husband is quite possibly also the single most disorganised person on the face of this earth. He would probably curl up and die if a strict nine-to-five regime was imposed upon him.

Am I charmed by the fact that his desk is constantly buried beneath a mountain of papers? Probably not, but I've come to realise that that comes hand in hand with his good qualities; he wouldn't be so able to give into the mood of the moment if he was an anal person.

At the heart of every plainly clothed person lies a superhero. I'm convinced of that fact. The hardest part is trying to love both the civilian and the hero equally.

7 comments:

Snooze said...

I love this post. What a beautiful way of describing love - the civilian and the hero. It took me a while to comment because this post also makes me cry. I couldn't accept the civilian behind my hero to my everlasting regret.

CoffeeDog said...

The superwoman behind my hero is also a mess pot......drives me bat shit but what are we to do?

ink said...

What a wonderful analogy, EM, and a very wise insight.

No question, it's pretty easy to forget the hero when he or she is wearing civvies. And sometimes we forget about our own heroic qualities as well.

Our loved-ones' less wonderful qualities are just as much a part of the package as the things we're drawn to. But too often we just don't accept it. Too often, we just keep trying to change our partners to better suit (we think) ourselves.

Thanks for giving me something to think about.

dantallion said...

The one time that I can genuinely look back and say that I was completely and wholely in love with another person, I realised that I was in love with the whole package - qualities, faults, the works. Even after the bloom had come off, I still would never have wanted to change one thing about the other person. It was an epiphane of sorts.

epicurist said...

That was quite an amazing analogy, one I have never made. Love had always alluded me, but once I found it, it made so much sense. I wonder if we are all seeking that person to save us? RB is completely disorganised and a bit of a basket case, but I still love him for it all.

Great post!

EarthMother said...

Chris: I guess Superman had his flaws too if he was busy making eyes at a married woman. I actually thought he wasn't so much pursuing her as trying to find a way to make up for the way he had left without saying "good-bye". Everyone finally got their closure, didn't they?
And I agree, love is confusing and complex sometimes. Amazing that we keep going and revisiting the well!

Snooze: Aww sweetie! I actually think that you did a pretty good job of accepting the civilian behind your superhero. If the superhero is who I think he was, then I also believe he had a bit of a hard time dealing with your inner civilian.

Coffeedog: I guess if that's all we have to complain about, then we're not doing half bad, are we?

EarthMother said...

Ink: Good point that we have a tendency to forget our own superhero qualities. I aspire to be Wonderwoman! Thanks for the lovely compliment. :)

Dantallion: Wow! That's amazing that you were able to experience such depth of feeling. It sounds like a post of your own ... I await eagerly!

Epicurist: It sounds as though you and RB are a match made in heaven. I love hearing all about it!