Thursday, June 23, 2005

All Fired Up

Okay, so I'm on day three of steroid therapy, and it's got me really manic and way bitchier than usual (yes, I know you're all thinking "who would have thought that possible?")

Anyway, so I have to wonder: is it just me/the 'roids or are people really cheeky? Feel free to cast your vote.

To illustrate:

I am currently in the midst of planning my daughter's seventh birthday party. Disorganised person that I am, I always leave this until the last minute and then get in a panic when I suddenly realise that I have to throw the party before school is over as people leave for their summer vacation or kids get tied up with summer camp. (Apparently, it's chic to ship your kids off at the age of seven to overnight camp for a month or more). Anyway, so as I'm alternately chastising myself for being a bad mother and for my poor conception planning skills (why, oh why didn't I have a spring baby?), I finally manage to throw together what might actually turn out to be a terrific party. And just in the nick of time, too as school will be finished next week.

We elected to invite my daughter's entire class to the party as she was friendly with about three-quarters of the boys and girls. The only problem with this plan of action is that I don't actually know all the kids, and more importantly, their parents. There are just some parents whom you NEVER see at any classroom events, field trips or even during the pick-up/drop-off times.

The next day after the invites were passed out, I received a phone call. Bear in mind that I had just spent the previous twenty-four hours in hospital, am now on steroid therapy and am extremely exhausted. The person on the other end identifies herself as being the aunt of one my daughter's classmates, and then proceeds to say that he has a brother at the school in Grade 6 and "it's okay for him to come as well, right?"

I very gently but firmly explained that in fact, the invitation was extended to only one person, and that while I understood their predicament (I really didn't, actually), the party was intended to be for my daughter and her friends only. Also, since others invited had brothers and sisters in the school, I would have to extend this courtesy to others, and we were already beyond the recommended capacity for this particular venue. So sorry, no siblings allowed.

The woman clearly didn't expect to be turned down, so after a long pause said "Okay, so just K. will come then ... one person". As though she were doing me a favour by complying with the invitation request. (See, I told you I was reaching new heights of bitchiness). I replied very cheerfully "Great, we'll look forward to seeing him then".

There must have been a special on imposing yourself upon others that day (two rude requests for the price of one), because the woman then says "So you'll be bringing him to the party and then you'll drop him back off at school". Whoa ... has this kid never been to a party before? Does she not know the drill? I resisted the urge to ask her if I should be purchasing a gift and wrapping it on their behalf, took a deep breath and reminded myself that I was probably reacting in an unduly irrational manner. I proceeded to inform the woman that in fact, I had three kids of my own, was hosting a party and that I therefore couldn't be responsible for her nephew. I told her that each parent was expected to either bring their child themselves or in the alternative, make their own drop-off and pick-up arrangements.

Her response was "Yeah but his mom only wants to pick up her kids once". My initial reaction was one of horror because it dawned on me that the older sibling would probably have to hang out at school for a couple of hours while his brother partied just so that mommy dearest wouldn't have to make a couple of trips. Following that, I became mildly pissed off because she was essentially saying "If you don't do this, then K. won't come", which was just fine with me because K. actually never even made it on the A list to begin with. Of course, I didn't say this. Instead, I simply said "Well it sounds as though it may not work out for your this time around. But let me know if you make other arrangements and K. can make it because we'd love to have him if he can". (His aunt frostily informed me the following day that K. would not be attending the party after all, and implied that his mom was somewhat insulted by my inhospitable manner and failure to accomodate her son).

So I have to question if it's me/the 'roids or if this woman was just pushing the envelope on bad guest etiquette. I did wonder briefly what kind of a caregiver would entrust their child to a virtual stranger. I mean, for all she knew I could have been some irresponsible, alcoholic child beater. Actually, that might not be as bad as the reality -- an irrational steroid charged bitch on wheels.



2 comments:

Snooze said...

Clearly the aunt and mother, not you, are psycho. Poor kid! You acted well and I might add, calmly, considering how rude those people were.

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site...
Upskirt thumbnail Japanies sitting upskirt glow dark contact lenses celeb upskirts Amateure upskirt Drivers upskirt uk travel insurance Koharu tohno upskirt International prepaid calling card cheap phone card public spy upskirt 7000 btu portable air conditioners Uk loan debts