Thursday, September 22, 2005

To Wear is Human ...

Okay, so maybe I'm old-fashioned, but isn't there some kind of tacit agreement regarding the taboo of cavorting around in summer white attire (white pants, shorts, shoes, etc.) after Labour Day? I realise that there are some days where we have summer-like weather, but should one don white capris and white shoes on that basis?

These last few weeks, I've been seeing a profusion of white clothing that supposedly constitute a fashion faux pas according to what I was brought up with. Have I missed something? Did some fashion guru recently pronounce white (and not winter white either, mind you) acceptable to wear during the fall months? I know it's stupid (because exactly who makes up these rules in the first place, and who cares anyway), but for whatever reason, that whole no-white-summer-clothing-until-after-Victoria Day-and-only-up-until-Labour-Day rule has stuck with me all my life.

See, now I know why during my university years I always stuck to black clothing. It's just so much easier.

2 comments:

Snooze said...

Wasn't it easier when we all just wore black? One wash load. Everything coordinated. Sigh.

On another note, look around at all the fashion faux pas. If only white after Labour Day was the worst crime. But like you, I retire my white clothes at this time of year regardless of the temperature.

EarthMother said...

You're right. I knew there was a reason why my laundry situation was so much more complex these days. All those damn colours!!!