Monday, October 03, 2005

Thank God for Judaism

It's Monday ... and not to plagiarise the Boomtown Rats, but I just don't like Mondays. Unless it's a holiday Monday. Then I can cavort around the house in my pyjamas until noon if I like, instead of yelling at my kids every two minutes to hurry up and get ready for school.

This past month, Monday afternoons have been particularly hellish as my kids have swimming lessons immediately after school (rush for the afternoon pick up), followed by my eldest son's soccer game at 6:00 (rush to get to the game). This means that I've had to make and pack dinner at 2:30 p.m. so that we can eat it either in the car en route to said soccer game, or have a quick picnic on the soccer field. It's been somewhat difficult if I've had an afternoon meeting that day because I've had to rush home to make dinner quickly before racing out to pick up the kids.

Today however, Rosh Hashana (the Jewish New Year) begins at sundown. Since my son's soccer team is almost entirely comprised of Jewish kids (we are one of three Gentile families on the team), I've gotten a reprieve. Gotta love them Jewish high holidays!

Shana Tovah to one and all!

2 comments:

epicurist said...

Yes Shana Tova to all! When I was in University, we also celebrated the Jewish High holidays, due to the numerous students and professors of Hebrew and Jewish faith.

EarthMother said...

Epi: I figure it's only fair. When I used to work out a law firm during my university years, I always got a bit ticked off that the Jewish lawyers got all the holidays off. It didn't seem fair that they should reap the benefits of having Christmas off, if I couldn't have Passover and the high holidays off.