Saturday, October 01, 2005

Passing the Torch

I had this long-standing tradition with two of my university girlfriends; all three of us have birthdays within weeks of each other, so we've celebrated them together year after year, by going for high tea at the Four Seasons Hotel.

A couple of years ago on my daughter's fourth birthday, one of my girlfriends presented her with a card entitling her to tea with the "girls", as part of her initiation into big girl status. Naturally, my daughter loved the whole idea of sipping sweet milky tea from grown up china cups and munching on delectable pastries and tea biscuits (gotta love that clotted cream).

Lately, my girlfriends and I haven't been able to get it together and have our annual birthday tea. Not wanting such a lovely tradition to die, I decided to revive it with my daughter.

I promised her last week that we would go for tea this weekend. In honour of the event, she made us tea crowns. They were lovely colourful creations with the words "Tea Queen" emblazoned across the front, and our names at the back. She'd also made me these fabulous dangly earrings, one purple and the other apple green (she didn't have enough beads of each colour to make a pair), which I'd promised her I would wear only on special occasions. I figured the initation of a mother-daughter tea tradition counted as such.

We had a blast-and-a-half. As soon as we were seated, we placed our tea crowns solemnly upon our heads and proceeded to order the afternoon full tea. We drew a few envious looks from those seated nearby. My daughter got a big kick out of the server's constant references to her as "the beautiful Tea Queen". I was complimented many times on my gorgeous earrings, which caused my daughter to beam and glow.

And for the first time ever ... the Lobby Bar, which never validates parking, did so gladly and willingly. I'm sure this wouldn't happen for any normal plebians, but since we were Tea Queens after all, they were more than happy to oblige.

And so a new tradition is born ...

9 comments:

Snooze said...

That's great!!! This post brought a tear to my eye. Now, I want to know if you are going to introduce your daughter to the original celebration when she gets older - namely drinking until you can't make it home.

EarthMother said...

Um ... I thought maybe the godmoms could take over when my kids got older. Not sure if I want them to pick up some of my university traditions.
Actually, scratch that idea ... if I recall, the reason why I ended up being so far beyond oblivion was the godmoms who showed up at my place for "dinner" with a couple bottles of wine in their bags.

Greg the Surly said...

I'm assuming the Tea Queen Society is by invite only? Or is this something I can aspire to be? After a very sad weekend of college football, I've given up and decided to go in a different direction with my life. Well, somewhat anyway.

EarthMother said...

Um ... is this whole being a Queen thing in keeping with the whole schtick of only gay men have cats? Are you electing to come out as a Tea Queen by default? i.e. college football didn't work out, so Tea Queendom here I come?

Greg the Surly said...

I don't know, I'm just so confused.... Yes I have a cat, but I dont find men attractive, but I have a cat.

epicurist said...

I was going to comment on that lovely post, but the comments are spawning a far more interesting topic ::grin::

Honestly, that was a lovely, cute post!

EarthMother said...

Epicurist: Thanks. Maybe you can step in and educate Greg? I'm at a complete loss for words ...

Greg: I took a number of logic courses in university and one thing that I retained ... If A then B does not infer If B then A

epicurist said...

I too am at a loss for words, so don't look to me. Lets just stare at the pretty boy and make him nervous.

EarthMother said...

lol Epicurist. Although ... after that site he sent us to with the bare buns, I'm not so sure staring at him would make him nervous in the least ...