Thursday, November 10, 2005

Another Difference Between Boys and Girls

I am very relaxed and easygoing in my household with regards to nudity. As a result my kids aren't shy about their bodies around immediate family members. It's a common daily occurrence to find at least one of us in some state of undress or other, conversing casually or carrying out a task without anyone batting an eyelash.

This morning, my two younger kids were taking longer than usual to go downstairs for breakfast; although they were dressed, they were in the boys' room giggling away and playing merrily, oblivious as to the lateness of the hour. I was in the middle of getting dressed when I noticed the time and dashed to their room to remind them to hustle downstairs. Upon seeing me, this was the conversation that ensued:

Daughter: I really like your pants, Mummy.

Me: Thanks honey. Now hurry up and go eat your breakfast.

Youngest son: I really like your nipples, Mummy.

Me (choking back a laugh): Thanks honey. Now hurry up and go eat your breakfast.


See ... I knew it ... women look at what other women are wearing and ooh and aah, while men only notice what the clothes aren't covering.

6 comments:

Greg the Surly said...

Thats because men aren't concerned with whats on the surface. We care about the much deeper issues of a person. Thats why it hurts so much when people think we're so superficial. *sigh* We do care.

epicurist said...

Greg, you are certainly an anomaly.

EarthMama - Comfort in one's own skin...that's great!

Snooze said...

Oh that's great. Can you imagine if your parents witnessed that?

EarthMother said...

Greg: You're restored my faith in mankind.

Epi: It figures that I only got comfortable with the whole nudity issue after my fabulous perky twenties were over. Flashing your thirty-something boobs and derriere don't have quite the same effect.

Snooze: Yes, but it's not as bad as the time my kids twirled my pubic hair when they were toddlers. Figured my father would have had a stroke if he'd seen that.

Snooze said...

It's funny, but I was thinking of your recounting of that very episode. Too hilarious! Didn't one of your kids also ask to see your MIL's nipples?

EarthMother said...

Snooze: Yes!!! She freaked out completely and then wanted me to talk to them lest they repeat the incident elsewhere. She didn't think it amusing when I told her that they only restricted such requests to close family members only.