Saturday, April 29, 2006

If ...

When I was in the second grade, my father was on a year-long sabbatical. He chose to go to Brussels, Belgium, mainly I believe so that he could meet Dr. Ilya Prigogine, the Nobel Prize Winner for Chemistry.

Although we didn't fully appreciate it at the time, it was a rich and fabulous experience for my brother and I to live in another continent. We were immediately immersed into Belgian culture and although we looked markedly different than the average Belgian child, within months, we were spouting French and Dutch as though we had lived there all of our lives.

Since we were already in Europe, my mom and dad decided to take full advantage of our ability to travel. I'm sure they broke the bank that year because we went to France, Germany, London, Italy, Luxembourg, Holland and various other places during the school year and our summer holidays.

One of my favourite trips was when we travelled several days by train to the south of Italy and then to Rome. The idea of spending a night in a sleeper car was an absolutely magical and enchanting one for us.

Sadly though, since I was relatively young, a lot of the culture was lost on me.
After all, taking young kids on cultural trips can often be a waste of time and money. In retrospect, I realise what a wonderul experience we had; however, at the time I failed to appreciate a great deal of it because let's face it, when you're seven or eight, traisping through various countries in Europe and visiting museums, art galleries and other sightseeing landmarks at a less than leisurely rate can start to wear thin after awhile.

I remember when we travelled to Rome. We had spent about three blissful weeks in a villa in the south of Italy and then travelled from there to the Holy City for a brief stay. Not wanting to miss out on the opportunity of a lifetime, my parents dragged us everywhere worth seeing in Rome. By the afternoon of our second or third day there, I was exhausted, hot and extremely thirsty. My parents, being frugal people, weren't one to stop and buy us drinks or snacks. We'd run out of our own water which we'd been carrying and by this point, I could barely work up enough saliva to keep my mouth from achieving desert status. I asked my mother incessantly when we could stop and get a drink, and my enquiries were met with the unsatisfactory response that drinks were expensive and that we'd have to wait until mealtime before we'd get to order our libations.

At last, we reached the final destination of our sightseeing tour that day -- the Trevi Fountain. My parents spent several minutes oohing and aahing over it. No doubt, they'd seen it in Fellini's La Dolce Vita and were impressed with the real McCoy. I had no knowledge of the magnitude and importance of what was in my presence. All I knew was that my feet were killing and that I was unbelievably hot and dehydrated.

My mother then took my brother and I aside and told us that this was a famous fountain and that if you threw a coin over your right shoulder whilst making a wish, that wish would come true. She then pressed a coin into each of our palms.

Being older, smarter, savvier and more mature, my brother considered carefully before tossing his coin into the waters of the Trevi. I, on the other hand, closed my eyes and thought "I wish my parents would break down on their rules and just buy us a drink now", before pitching my coin over my right shoulder into the fountain.

As soon as I opened my eyes, my mother announced that she was going to go and buy the family some soft drinks from a street vendor; a statement which if you knew my parents and their stance on both the evils of sugary pop and spending money needlessly, could only have been propelled by some miraculous force.

I enjoyed the ice cold bottle of Coke immensely, but it was gone all too soon, and I was suddenly struck by the thought that I'd wasted a wish. If the Trevi fountain had this kind of power to make my mother open her pocketbook and buy us a round of pop, what else could it do? I needed another coin to make a really proper wish!!

I ran to my mother and asked for another coin. Unfortunately, my mother had a one-wish-per-customer policy in effect. Since she'd already spent money on drinks, there was no way she was going to give me more money so I could throw it into the Trevi. I begged, pleaded, wheedled and whined to no avail. I was dragged away from the Trevi fountain, all the while looking back longingly and mournfully.

I've never been back to either Italy or Rome since but I know that when I do, a trip to the Trevi will top my itinerary list. This time I'll be wishing for more than just a drink.

11 comments:

Snooze said...

I love this story. I think you captured perfectly the thoughts of an 8 year old. No wonder you're such a great mum since you can remember what it's like to be that age.

St. Dickeybird said...

Cute story.
And that's the best thing about being in Europe. You can go to so many different places so easily.
If I could live anywhere, it would be a tossup between tropics (hot, summery) and europe (so varied). So I live in Canada... lol

dantallion said...

I love this post. You captured the imagery of the memories so beautifully

EarthMother said...

Snooze: The problem is not that I can remember the feelings ... it's that I'm still so immature and childish that I live these moments on a daily basis! What happens when my kids surpass me in maturity?

Dickey: Yeah, it's funny because I have the same struggles as you do about where to live. I love Europe and think that in some ways, I fit in better there in terms of attitudes, etc. Other times, I think it'd be great to just languish away in more temperate climates. Maybe we're just schizo people (although I prefer the term "multi-faceted).

EarthMother said...

Dan: Thank you. It's funny because I remember this one incident so well since I spent so much time cursing myself for wishing something so stupid when I could have thought on bigger terms!

Sister: Thanks. I loved living in Europe. It really has shaped a lot of who I am today, I think.

Greg the Surly said...

Did you ever find out what everyone else wished for?

EarthMother said...

Greg: No, in keeping with the rule that divulging your wishes nullifies them, I didn't ask anyone.

epicurist said...

Ahh, the sweetness of European culture. You did a phenomenal job rekindling my memories! I was there as a child in 1984. I was but a wee lad, and though I remember a lot, I would love to go back to experience it all over again. I can't remember what I wished for at the Trevi fountain, but still remember it quite clearly.

ink said...

That's a TERRIFIC story, EM. We never made it to Europe when I was young, but did go to Australia a couple of times to meet my Mum's family. Very strange and memorable ... but that's a story for another day..

CoffeeDog said...

That was a cute story, so well written!

EarthMother said...

Ink: It sounds like a blog post in the making to me! Do tell ...

Coffeedog: Thanks. I always wondered what would have happened if I'd made a grander wish ...