Sunday, June 04, 2006

Forty isn't too old for a frat party, is it?

The other night I went to the worst and stupidest excuse for a party ever.

The event in question was a neighbour's birthday party. The birthday boy has a natural daily inclination towards inebriation. He clearly enjoys his drink. Since we are acquainted with a few of his friends who are also heavy drinkers, we knew that this party would be one big long alcohol fest.

What I didn't realise was that it was also going to be a party filled with alcoholic affluent but ignorant WASPs. Apart from the five nannies who were working industriously in the kitchen that night, I was the only non-Caucasian there.

All of the nannies in our neighbourhood (and there are plenty) are from the Phillipines. Apparently, this couple's nanny was asked to find assistance for the party, so she got a bunch of her friends and fellow countrymen to come in and help out.

We arrived about forty minutes fashionably late. By that point, most of the party-goers were half in the bag. About twenty minutes post-arrival, I got hit on by some guy who was completely wasted. So drunk that he first dropped his cutlery onto the ground and spent several minutes crawling around trying to find it to no avail. He then went back into the house to get extra cutlery and emerged shortly thereafter clutching two forks ("just in case, you know"). Apparently, the combination of speaking and sitting was just too much in his state, and he promptly dropped his plate facedown into the grass. He then scooped his food back onto his plate and began eating it quickly, all the while trying to pay me disingenuous compliments in a very slurred voice. At the first available opportunity, I excused myself and hurried into the house.

Unfortunately, the company that awaited me inside was no better. As I was squeezing through the bodies in the hallway to get to the washroom, another guy spotted me and enquired very loudly if I was the nanny. He then proceeded to tell me how he was looking for a nanny and that he would love to hire me since he'd always wanted to have a hot woman working for him. When the host informed him that I was most definitely not the nanny, but rather a neighbour with a bunch of kids of my own, the idiot thought he was kidding and kept asking "No, but seriously, whose nanny is she?" Brcause what else could an Asian girl be but a nanny? I personally loved the way he ignored the fact that I was dressed quite nicely, spoke English better than he did and was holding a wine glass.


It got worse. When the host was finally able to convince him that I really was a neighbour, the idiot then asked if I was the next-door neighbour's wife, knowing full well that that particular guy rented a single room in the house next door. Because apparently, there was no way an Asian girl could not be a nanny AND own viable real estate. When I pointed out which house I lived in, he then reverted back to the obnoxious question "Are you sure you're not having me on? You really are the nanny, aren't you?"

The last straw was when I went back outside to find my husband, and the wasted guy who ate his dinner from the ground, felt me up while I had both hands completely occupied (one holding a wineglass, the other holding some chick's umbrella while she rummaged around in her purse for a lighter).

The whole night reminded me of my experiences from my early twenties. The joke amongst my friends was that I always managed to attract the weirdest men in any given situation (I even got hit on at a Homo Hop by the one heterosexual guy who had no idea where he was). Not that I ever enjoyed being around ignorant drunken men, but at least back in my university days they were a whole lot cuter.

7 comments:

CoffeeDog said...

Viable real estate. LOL What a bunch of maroons. (maroon is Bugs Bunny-speak for moron)

St. Dickeybird said...

Yikes. I thought it was bad enough, until I read "It got worse."

congeewoo said...

morons indeed! i went to some friend's family party once. entered the backyard and someone's 3 year old kid asked me, "are you the maid?".....why? because i'm asian? i know she was 3, but i can't help but wonder what kind of a woman she'll become...probably the wife of that guy's son...if that guy can find someone to have kids with him...what a doink!

EarthMother said...

Coffeedog: Maroons is right. It's hard to believe that some of these men are well-respected stock brokers, lawyers, etc.

Dickey: And here I thought I was being overly sensitive ...

Spoony: Maybe this kid was that guy's daughter ... he did say he had two sons and a daughter. Imagine being 3 and already having such narrow stereotypes!

Snooze said...

Hon, I can't believe you have to go through this racist crap. As for you getting felt up while your hands were full - that's just disgusting. If I'd been the host I would have killed those guests and buried the bodies.

EarthMother said...

Snooze: I guess when people think you're the hired help, they feel they can do anything to you. It did tick me off a bit that the host wasn't offended or mortified on my behalf, but then I suspect he was too wasted to notice or care.

Snooze said...

Imagine if you [or anyone else] were the hired help? That's an even more horrific thought thinking of what some of the nannies probably have to endure.