Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Copycat

Have any of you ever seen the movie Single White Female? It's about a woman who advertises for a roommate. Said roommate turns out to have a few screws loose, fixates upon the woman and ultimately tries to get rid of everyone important in her life so as to have an exclusive and close relationship. At one point, the deranged roommate from hell deliberately tries to look and dress just like the object of her obsession.

There is a young woman who used to teach my eldest son a couple of years ago. She is on the verge of turning thirty and is in all respects a very attractive person. For whatever reason, she has always liked me and my family, and that feeling has been mutually reciprocated.

A couple of weeks ago, she approached me and commented favourably on the outfit I was wearing. Among her gushing comments was the confession that she felt herself to be a "safe dresser" while she perceived me to be edgy and willing to take risks in the fashion arena. I suppose in a sea of Lulu Lemon clad women gingerly clutching Starbucks coffee cups so as not to ruin their French manicures, I might appear a little different, bur I'm hardly way out there.

Last week, the teacher sidled up to me in the courtyard and started fishing for compliments with regards to her outfit. I couldn't help but think that her ensemble seemed like an attempt to recreate the look that I'd had the week before, especially since her opening line was "I'm trying really hard to be a little edgier today". I complimented her nevertheless and said that as always, she looked wonderful.

On Friday of last week, I was dressed fairly conservatively as I'd been meeting with new clients. Still, my outfit had a bit of punch in that my skirt was of an unusual shape and was a beautiful shade of hot pink. That afternoon, the same teacher approached me, complimented me yet again on my look. She then went on to say that she had the exact same skirt and that she was "taking notes on my outfit".

Yesterday, as I entered the courtyard to pick up my children, I did a double take. Standing about twenty feet from me was the teacher clad in a virtually identical outfit as I had been wearing on Friday.

It's funny. That kind of thing always happened in high school. In every high school, I think there is always at least one girl who has a certain je ne sais quoi about her. Hand in hand with that girl is at least one friend who is mildly adoring and wants to be like her in every respect possible. Generally, that desire to emulate is expressed in terms of clothing. But for whatever reason, the obsessor can never quite pull it off.

During the summer, I was sitting in a coffee shop one day when in strolled these two young girls. They were probably about fifteen years old and they had that I-am-the-cat's-pyjamas-confidence that only a young teen can possess. I had to stifle a giggle watching them as they were dressed virtually identically in brown tank tops, fashionably frayed jean minis, flip flops and clutch purses. But even though they were fashion's answer to the Bobsey Twins, it was still obvious who was the trendsetter and who was the follower. I wanted to shake the second girl and say "What are you doing? Why do you want to be a clone? Wouldn't you rather be unique?"

I'm way past my high school years, but I have to admit that it does bother me to have a clone out there. It must be genetic because my daughter, who expresses herself by her own completely creative and unique sense of fashion, gets upset if anyone copies her.

Update: This afternoon when picking up my children, I was approached yet again by the teacher who asked where I got a particular item of clothing I was wearing today. She said that coincidentally she had just been flipping through a magazine this afternoon and had wanted to create the very same look I was sporting. Wondering if this means that tomorrow I will be greeted with a version of myself?

17 comments:

Snooze said...

That's a little disturbing. At least it doesn't seem like she'll go the route of Single White Female. You know though, I want to be like you too, but I'm just going to kidnap the Golden Child.

St. Dickeybird said...

I thought that film scenario was kinda hot.
Can you post pictures of the two of you in similar outfits?
;)

St. Dickeybird said...

??????????
I think you're very pretty, and you can SPELL, too!!

St. Dickeybird said...

Or is Anonymous psycho-copy-chick and just jealous?

Snooze said...

Yes, anonymous is a loser. Clearly. EM is gorgeous and kind to boot, and unlike anonymous, intelligent, capable of spelling correctly.

St. Dickeybird said...

For those reading this now, I'm not insane. At least not in the way this looks...

EarthMother said...

Snooze: No need to kidnap the GC ... he is waiting to come and live with you, Tasha and the snake. Especially after I told him that Auntie Snooze was willing to cater to his every need and stay up all night and play games with him ...

Dickey: Which part of the film did you find hot? The part where the guy lets the girl go down on him even after he discovers she isn't his fiancee?

Snooze and Dickey: BTW thanks for rushing to my aid. :)

Anonymous: Clearly, you're angry and for whatever reason have a problem with me. But since you're not as anonymous as you'd like to think and you've been visiting my blog many times daily for some time now as my stat counter indicates, why not just come forward and email me on your own steam instead of hiding behind vituperative comments?

St. Dickeybird said...

Blogger killed my last comment...

That scene was good, but I thought the whole concept was disturbingly kinky. Trying to become someone you admire?
Yum! In that 'i-dated-too-many-headcases' sort of way.
:)

St. Dickeybird said...

Oh, and I like that you said "the guy LETS the girl go down," like it's some sort of priviledge.

EarthMother said...

Dickey: You are insane, and we love you for it!
Re. the guy allowing the girl to get him off ... I meant it tongue in cheek (excuse the pun, but I did crack up in the theatres over how he waited to get indignant until after he'd orgasmed.
The world is rife with headcases. Amazing that you managed to navigate your way through it all and find yourself a good, sane woman, isn't it?

St. Dickeybird said...

I found a sane woman?????
Where was that and why didn't I marry her?
Wifezilla's just as off-the-sidewalk as I am. I think sane would bore me.

EarthMother said...

Dickey: Okay by sane, I meant not insane in the disturbing way. Naturally any spouse of yours is going to be as unconventional and off the wall as you ... so should I have said "insane but in a good way"?

CoffeeDog said...

Now I'm all curious and want to see pics of you and your outfits. From what you describe, adn based on your profile pic, I'll bet you look hot in your outfits.

EarthMother said...

Coffedog: You're too kind. To be honest, the outfits weren't really anything special and I doubt very much that I looked anywhere near hot. I actually think the teacher was struggling to discover a different look for herself now that she is on the verge of some changes in her life (about to turn 30 and going to get married), and simply looked to me as a representative of women in their thirties who aren't matronly and dowdy. But the compliments are nice!

CarolAA said...

Hey stranger! I haven't visited your blog in awhile and now I do to find a strange scenario going down (and what's with this Anonymous business, you deleted the comment, ooooeee this is creepy!). But seriously, you really must call this freak on it though. Gently of course, since she is involved with your kids, what about telling her that she's making you uncomfortable? Cuz ain't she though?

EarthMother said...

Kyarou! How great to see you! Was wondering how you were doing, but I'll catch up with you later via email.
Obviously, the point of Anonymous's comments were to make me uncomfortable and to be as vicious as possible 'publicly'. Apparently, adult discussions aren't her milieu, otherwise she would have addressed me in a more appropriate manner. From what I've come to know of her lately, that's not her style, but thank you for your concern and advice which I do value.

EarthMother said...

Kyarou: Oops ... completely missed the boat on what your point had been. When you said "freak" I had a case of mistaken identity.
I don't think the teacher is so much a freak. I really like her. It is a bit weird that she is copying me, but again, I think it's more a compliment than anything else (although I can't see myself ever copying someone's look from head to foot --it's just a bit eerie).