Sunday, October 01, 2006

Both ends of the spectrum

My youngest son just keeps hitting those milestones mercilessly.

Within the first week of having begun first grade, he lost his first tooth. As if that wasn't a painful enough reminder that my baby is growing up, his sister came home from school last Thursday and announced that during recess that day, he had kissed a girl. On the lips, no less.

While I gazed down at him incredulously, my baby at least had the good sense to look shyly down and colour slightly. Still, when I enquired as to what his opinion was regarding how the whole event went, he responded cheerily "It was good". I was only moderately comforted by my daughter's remarks that the girl had been far more willing to participate than he had.

The following day when I picked up my kids from school, my daughter reported that this time, he had kissed a boy on the lips. Not sure who had made the first move although I have a fair idea.

My husband and I used to speculate on what life would be like when our children got older. He always described our eldest son as being more of a lover and the younger one a "banger" (his choice of words, not mine). We always imagined that our eldest would finally bring home a girl and that over the course of dinner, our youngest would make a play for her and charm her pants off.

Funny, even though I think of myself as a liberal and open-minded parent, I had had never considered the scenario in which my daughter's boyfriends might get stolen by her younger brother.

The next few years should be interesting ones ...

6 comments:

Snooze said...

The Golden Child has had two first kisses? Oh my goodness! Should I be sending some sort of Bible tract? What is my duty as god mother? Is applauding okay?

EarthMother said...

Applause is always good, I suppose. The GC has grown up secure in the knowledge that everything he does is adorable, therefore he probably expects a round of applause.
You'd think that Hallmark would have some kind of card for godmothers to send their godchilds acknowledging that they've been initiated into an important rite of passage. It seems they have a card for everything else ...

EarthMother said...

Knotty: I've never had any aspirations for my children in any way, so long as they are happy, secure and learn to be respectful to themselves and to the world at large. My youngest has had some other behaviour in the past which makes me wonder if he won't be open to experimenting with both sexes, and to me, it's all good as long as he can have a functional relationship with someone.
I'm glad to hear that your parents are so cool. I do agree with you about the need for well-adjusted gay people -- there are just so many other things to worry about than someone's sexual preferneces.

CoffeeDog said...

How cute, he might be gay! Can't think of a better mother for him to have, being gay!

epicurist said...

That was a very cute post. What was even more sweet your whole view on it. Don't just slot yourself as a Liberal...the love you have for your kids is unconditional and quite pure.

EarthMother said...

Coffeedog: Thanks. I hope he feels the same way, too!

Epi: You and I both know first hand what it's like to grow up with authoritarian and authoritative parents. I want my kids to know that I support them at all times.