Friday, September 30, 2005

Think Pink

I've been invited by some friends and clients to this charitable event tonight. I went a couple of years ago (as guests of the same friends/clients) and it was a hoot. Never seen so many drag queens and tuxedoed corporate types in the same room all at once.

I'm too pooped right now to get myself ready, so here I sit in my little pink undies debating what to wear. Any of my usual little black dresses simply will not do tonight. Since the event is to raise money for breast cancer research, I'm told that I should show up wearing something pink and fabulous. I own about three pink articles of clothing -- all t-shirts -- so I'm sort of screwed. I'm seriously considering throwing a trench coat on top of my pink unmentionables and calling it an ensemble.

Actually the last time I went to this event, I was strong armed by my friend into bidding on an item during the silent auction portion of the evening. It was a pink dress (the designer was there modelling one as well) which no one had placed a bid on. I got it at the bargain basement price of $85.00. Of course, there was a reason that no one had bid on it: it isn't something you can wear very often (if at all) or which can be worn by many people. I'm pretty sure I'm not among the few who can pull it off. So I've been staring at this slutty little pink number wondering how I can tone it down to an acceptable level. Unfortunately, my brain has still not caught up with my new gym work out schedule and I'm not coming up with any feasible solutions.

That trench coat is looking better by the minute.

2 comments:

Snooze said...

Did you end up wearing the slutty pink number? Enquiring minds want to know...

EarthMother said...

I actually didn't, and was thankful later on. Since I last attended, this event has become far glitzier and I would have stuck out like a sore thumb in that dress. There were a few women who were wearing very slutty dresses and they were the old cougar types with fake boobs who were just trying all too hard. So glad I opted for a more elegant look in the end (I wore a tuxedo with a fabulous pink top and some bling ... it was just the right touch).