Tuesday, October 25, 2005

It's Good For You

I recently read a Forbes article citing scientific findings with regards to the hazards of female sexual abstinence. So I'm curious about whether or not proponents for the saving-yourself-for-marriage theory might be swayed by the study's conclusions. Apparently, "women who abstain from sex run some risks ... these include vaginal atrophy". The article goes on to cite a case in which a physician, whose patient hadn't had sexual intercourse in three years, advised said patient to "buy a vibrator" as she was well on her way to "los(ing) function there". My goodness, I'm trying to imagine any of my doctors suggesting the purchase of a dildo or vibrator ...

According to the study's findings, there appears to be a bit of a problem going on because apparently, men can sustain permanent damage from having too much sex while women just can't get enough. So while we women have to protect ourselves against the perils of celibacy, you men have to try and abstain a little bit more. Does anyone detect a wee problem going on there? It's almost as if the article is advocating that women have a coterie of lovers.

It seems to me that where sex is concerned, the rules of society don't seem to jive with nature's ways. This is one such example. Another prime one is the fact that boys reach their sexual peak at the age of seventeen, while women don't attain that milestone until their late thirties. And yet society often seems to think that women should partner up with men who are more or less their own age. Oh sure, we've heard all the little consoling remarks that a man's experience is supposed to kick in some kind of contributing factor post-seventeen, but really if he can only do it once or twice in an evening without imperiling the health of his genitalia and we thirty-something sexually insatiable women can do it all night long ... I mean it practically guarantees that we have to assume the role of Mrs. Robinson at some point in our lives, doesn't it?

P.S. As an aside, the article cited a doctor from England who said that there is "little or no risk of a woman's overdosing on sex. In fact ... regular sessions will not only firm a woman's tummy and buttocks but also improve her posture". So forget the aerobics classes, ladies and have a great time!

4 comments:

Snooze said...

Yay! See now, we REQUIRE more than two condoms a session. Thank you for bringing this important info to our attention

EarthMother said...

Snooze, I thought of your two condom story the entire time I was writing this post up. The study made me feel less like a sex-crazed nympho ... I just keep thinking "It's just biological ... see here's the proof".

Anonymous said...

What was the name of this article? I would like to read it and show it to some of my friends but I cannot find the information.

EarthMother said...

I can't remember what the exact name was. I think it was Is Sex Necessary? or something like that ...